WhatsApp users have long known about the issue of migrating to a device with a different operating system. For example, trying to transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Android has largely been a futile exercise with a couple of inadequate workarounds involved. The data doesn’t get fully transferred or a lot of information goes missing. In some cases, some data types can’t be transferred at all.
What’s In This Article?
Recently, WhatsApp introduced an official method to do a WhatsApp transfer from iPhone to Samsung models but it leaves a lot to be desired.
In this article, we give you the current lay of the land as things stand today. We’ll also show you two great ways to easily do a WhatsApp iPhone to Android between iOS and Android in any combination; moreover, these two methods can also be used for phone switching because they can help you move all your phone data from one device to another regardless of whether they’re running Android or iOS.
Let’s begin by exploring the official WhatsApp transfer method for iPhone to Samsung Android.
The Official Way to Transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Android (Samsung Only)
As of now, WhatsApp’s official method is limited to transferring WhatsApp data from an iPhone to a Samsung device that supports the SmartSwitch app. Initially launched for super-premium devices such as the Z Fold and Z Flip, the method is now available on more models. Per WhatsApp:
“Transferring your chat history cross platform is currently only available when moving from an iPhone iOS device to Samsung Android device, but we will make it available to users of both Android and iOS in the coming months.”
There’s no clarity on that timeline for now, but the existing method requires the following steps:
- Change your WhatsApp number on the iPhone using the new number for the Samsung device
To do this, insert the new SIM into the iPhone and launch WhatsApp.
From the Settings page, go to Account → Change Number.
Tap Next and enter both numbers in their corresponding fields.
Tap Next again and then tap Done. You can choose to Notify Contacts before you hit Done.
- Transfer WhatsApp messages to the same new number on the iPhone
Move the SIM back to the Samsung device and start it up.
Connect the two devices using an OTG adapter or Lightning to USB Type-C cable.
Follow the Samsung SmartSwitch protocol with on-screen instructions.
At the home screen, launch WhatsApp and register the number.
Complete the setup and access your transferred chats on WhatsApp on your new Samsung device.
Limitations of the Official WhatsApp iPhone to Samsung Transfer Method
Simple as it seems (really??), this method won’t work for everyone. Here are the criteria that need to be met in order for this to work:
- Currently, iPhone to any Android and Android to iPhone transfers are not supported
- You must have a brand new or factory-reset Samsung device with Samsung Switch
- The Samsung SmartSwitch app must be version 184.108.40.206 or higher
- The iPhone should have WhatsApp iOS version 220.127.116.11 or higher
- The Samsung device should have WhatsApp Android version 18.104.22.168 or higher preinstalled
- A Lightning to USB Type-C or matching OTG adapter is required
- You must use a new or different number that’s not associated with another WhatsApp account
- You will not be able to retain the old number on the new device
- Not all WhatsApp data can be transferred; for example: call history, peer-to-peer payment messages, etc.
Is There a Better Way to Safely Transfer All WhatsApp Data from iPhone to Android?
Faced with this laundry list of deal-breakers, users switching from iPhone to Android have little choice but to search for alternative methods. The good news? They’re right here! We will showcase not one but two 100% safe and secure ways to transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Android. What’s more, you can enjoy a host of other benefits:
- Transfer WhatsApp Business, Viber, Kik, LINE, and WeChat data between any two devices running iOS or Android
- Backup WhatsApp to your laptop
- Restore a WhatsApp backup to any mobile device
- Export WhatsApp data in other formats such as HTML and PDF
- Transfer WhatsApp between devices with or without a computer
So, what are these two methods that are so much easier than the official process? Let’s have a look.
Method 1: Using a Desktop as an Intermediary Device – MobileTrans- WhatsApp Transfer for PC and Mac
MobileTrans WhatsApp Transfer from Wondershare is a desktop application designed to be a bridge between iOS and Android when it comes to transferring WhatsApp across the OS divide. It has been developed as a vailable alternative to all other methods of WhatsApp Transfer. Essentially a one-click operation, transferring all your data from one device to another has never been easier. Let’s take a look at how it works:
- Install the appropriate version of MobileTrans on your computer
- Launch the application and select Transfer WhatsApp from the options on the home page
- Connect the two devices to the computer using their respective charging cables; these will now act as data transfer cables
- Click WhatsApp from the selection of social messaging apps on your computer monitor and check to see if the source device, i.e. the iPhone, is on the left side; if not, hit the Flip button
- The last action is to click Start to initiate the transfer process and wait for the data to be moved; when you see the final success notification on your screen, eject and unplug the devices
As you can see, this method requires no technical expertise or jumping through hoops to get the job done. Doing WhatsApp transfers this way is infinitely easier than the official method. However, if you’d rather use an OTG adapter or Lightning to USB-C cable and get the job done device-to-device, Wondershare has the perfect tools for that as well.
Method 2: Using an OTG Cable and Mobile Apps – MobileTrans App
This method is similar to the official way in that it uses an OTG adapter or equivalent cable to complete the transfer. Everything else is far simpler, as you can see from the process outline below:
- Connect the devices and choose the OTG/cable option for the transfer – this will authorize the iPhone to share data with the Android device
- In the next step, your iPhone’s WhatsApp data will be backed-up and prepped for the transfer
- On the target device, log in to WhatsApp and authenticate the transfer; this can be done as part of the next step…
- Finally, follow the in-app instructions to restore the backup to the Android device
Wondershare has made it a seamless experience, and you can already see the stark contrast between this easy method and the official method. What’s more, these apps have been tested to work on over 8000+ Android and iPhone devices to make sure that your data is preserved in a pristine manner during any transfer.
In parting, one of the best things about these unique transfer methods is that none of your data gets left behind, which means you can carry your digital life wherever you go, whether it’s just a WhatsApp transfer from iPhone to Android or a Full Phone Transfer when switching smartphones.