The internet had made our lives much easier. One of the best parts is the idea of cashless transactions. You do not need to carry any kind of cash, yet you can come home with many shopping bags in your hands. These days, even if you go to the local grocery stores, you can make payments through the apps. And all credits go to UPI. Before discussing further, let us first know what UPI is.
What is UPI?
Unified Payment Interface, commonly known as UPI is considerably a new payment model that enables users to use a smartphone for making digital payments on the go. It is basically a single platform that combines several banking services as well as features under one umbrella. You can use your phone number or virtual payment address which is also the UPI ID to make real-time bank-to-bank payments.
The initiative of UPI was taken by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) along with the Reserve Bank of India and the Indian Banks Association (IBA). NPCI is actually the firm that takes care of RuPay payments infrastructure, which is quite similar to MasterCard and Visa. It enables various banks to connect with each other and even transfer funds. Another initiative of NPCI is the Immediate Payments Service (IMPS). It is the advanced version of IMPS.
UPI ID and PIN
A UPI ID basically means unique identification for bank accounts which is used for sending as well as receiving funds. IT is a 40-digit personal identification number that has to be entered for authorizing the money transferred through it. You as the account holder can choose the PIN.
How does UPI work?
With UPI, transferring money has become very easy. There is no need of remembering the account number, IFSC code, account type, bank name of the receiver. You just need to know the registered mobile phone number linked with the bank account, Aadhaar Card number, or ID of the receiver. So You just need to use a UPI-enabled app. You have to set the ID by providing all the required details of your bank account on the app. Now you will receive an OTP on your mobile number. This step is to ensure that the person using it is authorized. As you enter the OTP, you can then create a PIN for the ID. Once you complete the registration process, you can choose the mobile number of the receiver, from your contacts and send a certain amount of money. You can also go ahead and request money from the numbers in your contacts.
How to register on the Airtel Thanks App for Airtel BHIM UPI?
To use the Airtel BHIM UPI, you would be required to register for the same on Airtel Thanks App. Let us check out the step-by-step guide.
- You first will have to link your bank accounts to the BHIM UPI app
- Now download the Airtel Thanks App from Google Play Store or iOS App Store and install it on your smartphone
- Now at this stage, register with the precise mobile number that is linked to your bank account
- As you log in, you can then go to the “Banking” section
- You will now get a registration form which you have to fill with details for the e-wallet account
- Now link a bank account with the e-wallet
- You will receive a one-time SMS from Airtel Payments Bank for verification
- Once the verification is complete, you have to create your Airtel Payments Bank UPI Virtual Payment Address (VPA) ID
- Now you have to add to the bank account, which can either be the Airtel Payments Bank or any other bank that supports UPI payments
- Now for secured transactions, you can set the PIN
- After completing all these steps, you can send funds and make bill payments through Airtel BHIM UPI.
Airtel Thanks App used the BHIM UPI interface through which transactions can be done. Therefore, you must link your bank account to the BHIM UPI interface.