The card verification value or card verification code or the CVV number is a security measure by the Cardholder to verify that it’s actually him making the purchase. It can also be called “card validation value” or “card validation code”. So what are the 3 digits on Credit cards for? These are used to validate whether or not the transaction is done by the rightful owner of the card.
This security measure was introduced in the year 1994 by Visa & MasterCard to prevent online fraud. Before this, many merchants were duped with transactions where someone used their credit cards for making fraudulent transactions; hence it became necessary to introduce such a feature that would verify that you are indeed authorized to purchase.
The security measure is followed by any purchase that’s made on the internet (online). The card verification value which you see on your credit/debit card is exclusive to only you and has no way of verifying it with anyone else other than the issuing bank.
Now, how does this work? When you make a purchase through your card, the system performs what is called as “sale approach” on it. After this, they will ask for your CVV number which you can find out by looking at the signature strip on the backside of your credit/debit card.
This 3 digit security measure will be asked whether or not if it’s an online purchase using the credit/debit card. You will be asked to enter the CVV number when you make a purchase through your card. If you are buying something physical, then this 3 cards security measure might not be valid. But some online stores do require it for purchases made in their physical outlets as well such as Best Buy and The Apple store etc.
If you are someone who doesn’t want to share your CVV number with anyone, then it might be a good idea to do transactions using gift cards, debit cards, or cash.
The CVV number is different from the PIN which you use for making a purchase through your card in a regular manner in offline stores.
Now that this brief explanation on the subject of CVV number is over, let’s check out some of its types.
Types of CVV Numbers:
CVV Type 1- It contains only digits and not letters. It has a combination of 3 or 4 numbers that come together to make all 9 digits. The first digit is always an odd number which can be 1,3,5 or 7.
CVV Type 2 – It has a combination of 4 digits which are 1,2,4 & 6. A first digit is always an odd number which can be 1,3 or 5.
CVV Type 3 – It has a combination of 3 digits which are 1 & 2 or 4 & 5. A first digit is always an odd number which can be either 1 or 3.
CVV Type 4 – It has a combination of four digits which are 1,2,4 & 5. A first digit is always an odd number that can be either 1 or 3.
So for example your card’s security measure contains three digits like 5678, then it would be either of these types.
Now that you know what the different types are, let’s take a look at how you can generate them for yourself.
How to Generate CVV Number?
There are many websites that will let you generate your own fake or real CVV number for free. These sites ask for the card information so they can use this to generate a valid CVV number which is most successful in completing your purchase without any problem.
1) You can visit this site and type in the details of your card to generate the CVV number to your liking.
2) This site also has an online generator that you can use for generating a valid CVV number. You can simply visit this page to generate one.
3) If you are looking for some good random numbers to generate, then don’t forget to check out this tool. It has a huge list of numbers to choose from.
4) This is another good site that you can use to generate some random CVV numbers for your purchase. It’s really simple and easy to use. Just type in the card details and click on check for CVV. You will be shown a list of valid security measures that are based on the card information you typed in.
5) If you are looking for some good free numbers to generate, then don’t forget to check this website out. Just like the previous one, it has a huge list of numbers that you can choose from and use safely without worrying about getting detected by anyone or your purchase being declined.
6) This site also has a valid online generator that you can use for generating some random numbers. Just follow the steps down below to generate your own free CVV number using their tool.
Read more interesting articles.