You may want to lose weight for specific reasons. Or maybe you need to lose weight to improve your health. It can reduce the risk of certain conditions, such as heart disease and type 2 diabetes. It can lower blood pressure and cholesterol in general. It can also relieve symptoms and prevent injuries associated with obesity.
There are a number of factors that can affect your weight loss efforts. These include changing your diet, exercise, and lifestyle. There are tools and tips to keep you on track. You also need to know what not to do. Talk to your doctor before starting a new plan. He or she can help you design a program and closely monitor your progress. Even small changes can make a big difference in your health.
The path to better health
There are other things you need to do before you begin. Commit to a weight loss plan. Consider telling someone close to you. They can help you monitor your progress and provide support. It can hold you accountable.
There are 3 important things about weight loss. The first is your weight. The second is the body mass index (BMI). Your BMI depends on your weight and height. Doctors consider BMI to be the best measure of your health risk. In fact, the terms “overweight” and “overweight” are based on BMI indicators. A BMI between 25 and 30 is considered obese. A BMI greater than 30 is considered obese. The higher your BMI, the more likely you are to develop weight-related diseases. These include type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Your doctor can help you get your BMI, or you can use a BMI calculator. The BMI chart is the same for older men and women. There are separate tables for girls and boys under 20. There is also a special BMI calculator for Asian patients.
The third thing you need to know about weight loss is your waist circumference. Body fat often accumulates in the abdominal area. This is more of a health risk than the accumulation of fat in the thighs or buttocks. For this reason, around your waist is a valuable tool. To start, place the end of a tape across your bones. Wrap one end around your stomach, keeping it straight. The tape should not be too stiff or too loose.
Doctors consider it unhealthy for men to be taller than 40 inches and taller than 35 inches for women. The upper waist circumference is known as abdominal fat. This may be a sign of the metabolic syndrome. This is a group of conditions that increase the risk of weight-related diseases. It can cause type 2 diabetes or heart disease. Your doctor will diagnose the disease if you have 3 of the 5 conditions listed below.
Once you have a measurement, set realistic and achievable goals. Your doctor can also help. Your goals must be clearly defined. Prepare for setbacks, but don’t give up. Respond to something healthy about yourself when you reach a goal. You could, for example, try new activities, get a massage, or buy new clothes. These efforts will help you move forward.
In general, eat fewer calories than your body uses to lose weight. Calories come from the foods you eat and drink. Some foods have more calories than others. Foods high in fat and sugar, for example, are high in calories. Some foods are made up of “empty calories.” These add a lot of calories to your diet without providing nutritional value.
If you eat more calories than your body uses, your body is storing them as fat. A pound of fat is around 3,500. To lose 1 pound of fat in a week, you need to eat at least 3,500 calories. This provides less than 500 calories per day. One thing you can do is eliminate regular soft drinks from your diet. That alone cuts over 350 calories a day. You can also burn an additional 3,500 calories per week. You can do this with practice or more diligence. Most people do a combination of the two. If you do this for 7 days, you can lose 1 pound of fat in a week.
Experts believe about weight
Most experts believe that you should weigh no more than 2 pounds per week. This may mean that
- Try to do some research on your eating habits. It will tell you where you need to change your diet. You can also find out what foods you’re missing out on. Here are some suggestions on how to improve your diet:
- Only eat when you are hungry. That could mean 3 meals and 1 snack a day. Or it could mean 5-6 small meals a day. If you’re not hungry, don’t eat.
- Don’t forget to eat. Violations of the diet do not lead to weight loss. It may make you hungrier later. It can cause you to overeat or make the wrong food choices.
- Wait 15 minutes before getting a second meal. Your body can last that long if you are still hungry.
- Try to eat a variety of whole foods. These include lean meats, whole grains, and milk. When choosing fruits and vegetables, eat rainbows.
- Avoid processed foods and foods that are high in fat or sugar.
- Drink much liquid. Choose calorie-free or calorie-free beverages, such as unsweetened water or tea.
In some cases, your doctor may refer you to a dietitian. They can help you with food and repair methods that suit your needs.
Both adults and children should engage in regular physical activity. It is important for losing weight and maintaining good health. Below are ways to increase your activity and burn calories.
· Add 10 minutes a day to your current workout.
· Challenge yourself. Go from a moderate movement to a strong movement. (See chart below).
· Use the stairs instead of the elevator.
· Stay further away or walk to your destination instead of driving.
· Do more housework, like dusting, laundry, or weeding.
· Go for a walk or run with your dog and/or child.
· Exercise at home while you watch TV.
· Be diligent on your vacation. Try walking or riding a bike.
Buy a pedometer or movement monitor. This measures the number of steps you take each day. Try to increase the number of steps each day as time goes on. (You can buy pedometers at sporting goods stores.) Some experts recommend walking at least 10,000 steps a day. Monitor the amount of time you spend online, watching TV, and playing video games. It should be less than 2 hours a day.
You may need to adjust your schedule to change your diet and exercise. This may mean getting up in the morning to exercise or filling up on lunch so you don’t eat too quickly. Along with diet and exercise, it is necessary to change other lifestyles. Getting enough sleep can help you lose weight. Sleep affects the hormones in your body. These include hormones that tell your body if you are hungry or full. You should also try to reduce your stress. Many people associate stress with weight gain.